This tour is for participants of our 2024 Trans-European race from London to Albania.
• Check-in to hotel in Tirana.
• Attend the Lupine Race awards party in the evening.
• Take a walking tour of Tirana where we will see examples of Ottoman and
Communist-era architecture. We will visit Skanderbeg Square, the Et'hem Bey Mosque and the Pyramid of Tirana. We will also visit the Blloku area of the city where we will see Enver Hoxha’s house.
• Next we will visit BunkArt 1: This huge underground nuclear bunker was built in the 1970s for Albania's political and military elite. It has now been transformed into a combined museum and art space.
• Some 40 of the total 100 plus rooms on five sprawling levels contain exhibitions about the bunker's history, offering the first serious attempt to openly confront and openly discuss the country's silent past.
• Today we visit Dajti Mountain by cable car and take in a breath-taking
panoramic view of Tirana. We will have time to relax and enjoy a coffee alongside the local flora and fauna before making the drive to Kruja to visit the town’s castle.
• Krujë Castle, central to Skanderbeg's battles against the Ottoman Turks, resisted three sieges, even against Mehmed II. Today, it's a popular tourist spot and a symbol of pride for Albanians. The Kruja museum inside the castle honors Skanderbeg, displaying artifacts from his time. We will also explore the old bazaar for shopping.
• After breakfast, we'll drive into Kosovo and explore Prizren, known for its skilled craftsmen and beautiful gold and silver articles. Highlights include the Fortress, the Museum of the League of Prizren, and the historic Mehmet Pasha Hamam.
• A walk through Carshia e Vjeter offers views of landmarks like Sinan Pasha Mosque and St George Orthodox Cathedral, as well as traditional shops. Our route also takes us across Prizren's centuries-old stone bridge.
• After breakfast, we head to Gjakova to explore its historic town with a 17th-century bazaar, offering various handicrafts in well-preserved stores and stalls. The Gjakova Old Bazaar also features a 15th-century mosque as a notable attraction.
• Later, we drive to Peja through the scenic Rugova Gorge, reaching the Decani Monastery. This UNESCO World Heritage Site showcases Orthodox religious architecture and art, making it a must-visit in Kosovo.
• After breakfast, we depart for Prishtina and embark on a walking tour that includes Gracanica Monastery and the ancient town of Ulpiana. Returning to Prishtina, we visit notable landmarks like the Statue of Mother Theresa, Monument of Skënderbeu, City Museum, Grand Mosque, and Ethnologic Museum.
• After lunch the walking tour continues along Central Mother Teresa Street, exploring the National Library and Prishtina University. We then head to Germia Park and conclude the tour with a visit to the Monument of Kosovo Battle in Gazimestan, Sultan Murat Tyrbe (Mausoleum), commemorating the Battle of Kosovo in 1389.
• We will then drive back to Tirana.
• The tour ends here.