Tour itinerary can be seen below.
• Meet in the evening in the Ethiopian city of Semera, where we’ll stay overnight.
• Early departure to Dodom, located at the base of Erta Ale Volcano. We drive 80km along one of the worst roads in the world. The journey takes around 6 hours, passing through volcanic landscapes and several small villages throughout the desert before reaching Dodom.
• After dinner, we will make a short trek to the volcano's rim. Camels will transport our camping equipment, food and water to the top, where we will spend an unforgettable night watching the spectacular sight of the boiling lava lake.
• Wake up at sunrise to walk around the pits and craters of the volcano before taking the short trek back to Dodom.
• Arrive back in time for breakfast before driving on to the mythical Lake Giulietti, a saltwater lake located more than 100 meters below sea level in one of the deepest depressions of the planet.
• Begin our journey to Hamed Ela, a village of 500 people, and further into the Danakil Depression. We descend to points of the desert that go up to 328 feet below sea level. En route, we pass through the small town of Berhale, where the camel caravans stop, before proceeding to the northern highlands. Along this route, we will see the camel caravans travelling to the salt mines whilst others are heading out of the Danakil with their salt-loaded camels.
• Camp overnight at Hamed Ela.
• Drive to the salt mine Ragad in the morning to witness the salt being extracted, cut into rectangular pieces, and loaded onto camels.
• Continue to Dallol Depression and see the various landscapes formed by volcanic activity along the way.
• Arrive in Dallol, and embark into this depression, one of the lowest places in the world. We also see colourful salt mines, Lake Karum and more camel caravans before walking with the Afar people.
• Drive back to Semera via Hamed Ela, where we will transfer directly to the airport, ready for departure to Addis Ababa (flight not included).
• Tour ends here unless you’re taking the entire Ethiopia/Somaliland trip. If this is the case, please see the itinerary for that tour.
Land tour cost: £595
Addis-Semera return flights: approx $170* or $360 (to be booked yourself)
*the cheaper flight options are available to those who are flying into Addis with Ethiopian Air as they offer subsidised domestic tickets to international customers. If you are taking our Somaliland tour afterwards, then you can also use your Hargeisa to Addis flight with Ethiopian airlines to secure the cheaper airfare. Please note you will need to book all these flights yourself.